According to the Slovenian government data, poultry meat production has reached around 8% of the total value of agriculture and around 18 % within livestock production in the last decade. Poultry meat production is the most export-oriented of all types of meat in Slovenia. In 2021, the export of poultry meat amounted to 34.830 tons. Slovenia has constant surpluses in poultry meat. The level of self-sufficiency in poultry meat has been growing since 2015. In 2021, it amounted to 112%.
Commercial production of broiler meat in Slovenia is organized in three companies:
The largest share is held by Perutnina Ptuj with 60 %, Pivka Perutninarstvo with 20 % and Panvita Agromerkur with 15 %. These three companies account for more than 95% of total broiler production in Slovenia. The rest is local, small backyard production.
It is estimated that there are about 400 farmers in Slovenia for commercial production of broilers. The average size of the farms is 1,000 m2. The majority of farmers own only one barn. Chicken farming is in many cases not the main occupation of farmers, as they also have other agricultures or animals.
There are several actors involved in the Broiler Meat Supply Chain:
- Perutnina Ptuj Group (PP)
- Pivka (including feed mills & hatcheries)
- Panvita (including feed mills & hatcheries)
- Veterinary clinic of Perutnina Ptuj Group (VCPP)
- Biotechnical Faculty (BF)
- Poultry cooperative Ptuj
- Association of Poultry Breeders
- Agricultural cooperative of poultry farmers Pivka (AC Pivka)
- Agricultural cooperative Agrosad (AC Agrosad)
- Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of Slovenia (CAFS)/Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Slovenia (CCIS)
- Universities – Veterinary Faculty (VF)/ Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences (FKBV)
- GIZ Meat industry of Slovenia
- Retailers and food outlets